Fortnite‘s latest update, v4.5, is now available on all platforms. On top of introducing a new weapon and other features to both Battle Royale and Save the World, it marks the start of the game’s latest limited-time mode, Playground–although as of this writing, the mode has been temporarily taken offline.
Unlike previous limited-time modes, Playground is intended to be a “low-pressure environment” that acts much like a private server. It allows players to explore the map, devise strategies, and play around freely with up to three friends without the risk of being eliminated by other players.
Each round in Playground lasts for one hour, and the storm circle won’t begin closing in on the map until 55 minutes into the match. Friendly fire is enabled, although players will respawn immediately unless eliminated by the storm. There’s also considerably more loot to find. 100 Llamas will spawn across the map, and players will receive 10 times the normal amount of any resources gathered during the match.
Playground isn’t the only limited-time mode available in Fortnite this week. Final Fight Teams of 12 is also now underway in Battle Royale. This mode unfolds like a standard game of Battle Royale; however, the storm circles stop closing partway through a match. Once the circles have finished closing, a Final Countdown timer will begin, with the remaining teams competing to have the most surviving players when the time expires.
Epic hasn’t announced an end date for either Playground or Final Fight Teams of 12. Fortnite’s limited-time modes are typically only available for about a week, although it remains to be seen if Playground will remain in the rotation a little longer than usual to make up for its downtime. You can read more details about each mode–courtesy of the patch notes on the official Fortnite website–below.
Epic still hasn’t provided a time table for when Playground mode will be enabled again. The mode was taken offline due to a matchmaking issue that cropped up following the rollout of update 4.5. That issue has since been resolved, but Epic says it is “continuing work” to bring Playground back online. The developer will provide further updates on Fortnite’s status website.
Fortnite Update 4.5 Patch Notes
Playground is a low-pressure environment where friends can let their creativity run wild. Build massive structures. Practice with the weapons and items. Fight against your friends. Have fun!
- You’ll have one hour to create, play and train as you wish. Hop in and try out version 1 of Playground!
- Drop into the Battle Royale map with a squad of friends for an hour
- Friendly Fire is on
- Players respawn on elimination unless downed by the storm
- The storm doesn’t start closing in for 55m, and takes 5 minutes to close in
- Resources gathered grant 10x the normal rate.
- 100 Llamas will be spawned on the map
- Chests & Ammo Boxes spawn 100% of the time
Final Fight Teams of 12
Make it to the final circle and then fight for the Victory Royale!
- Final Fight plays similar to standard Battle Royale, but instead of the storm circles closing all the way in, they stop part way through the match.
- When the circles have finished closing in, the Final Countdown timer will begin.
- The remaining teams will battle it out until the timer expires.
- The team with the most players remaining at the end of the timer wins!
- In the event of a tie, the two (or more) teams tied for the lead win the match.